Top 10 Tips For Casino Players
If you're looking to play the pokies or be a punter in the comfort of your own home, online casinos and sports books offer gaming excitement with just the click of a mouse. Follow these tips to get the most for your money and to start you playing with no worries.
1. Find a good online casino.
There's no shortage of online casinos that will be happy to take your money, but you'll want to make sure you don't take a gamble on sketchy sites. Look for one that:
- has a good reputation. How do you know you've got a reputable online casino? Ask friends and family for recommendations, and check for favourable online reviews.
- features your favourite game(s). Many online casinos feature a variety of games, while others specialize in certain games. Look for a site that features what you want to play. For example, if you prefer to play virtual slots, find a site that specializes in those to better fit your needs.
- will work with your Internet connection speed. Some online casinos require a high-speed Internet connection for the games to play correctly, so if you have a slower Internet connection, use a site that won't leave you waiting while it buffers--or make you feel like you're playing in slow motion.
2. Get a good welcome bonus.
Just like physical casinos offer free drinks and hotel room stays as incentives to play, online casinos offer incentives to play too, and chief among them is a welcome bonus for signing on with them. Welcome bonuses can include:
- giving you a number of free plays/spins,
- matching a percentage of your initial investment, and
- starting you off a good amount of money to start playing.
3. Keep your eye out for promotions.
Welcome bonuses aren't the only promotions online casinos offer. You'll find additional promotions like rewards and prizes for accumulating play time, getting listed on tournaments, participating in VIP clubs and more. Look for the best package of promotions when choosing an online casino to see which offers you the most benefits overall for playing with them.
4. Play games with the best odds.
If you want to win when you're playing the pokies, then playing games with the best odds is truly your best bet. As a rule, the games traditionally played at tables in physical casinos (also known as "table games") have better odds than slots, and the same is true of the odds for online casino games. So try your hand at blackjack, craps and roulette for the best odds. But if you can't resist the pokies, feel free to play, just bet the highest amount possible to improve your odds overall.
5. Only gamble with money you can afford to lose.
Before you start gambling in your chosen online casino, decide on an amount of money you can afford to lose. And then stick to it. It's easy to get caught up in the excitement of gaming and be tempted to spend more than the decided amount, but that can get you into trouble. You'll feel better about your experience and your wallet will thank you.
6. Play within your limits.
When you're on a winning or losing streak, it can be tempting to bet big or spend past the limit you've set. But overspending can get you into a tough spot, so know and play within your pre-set limits.
7. Stay sober.
Drinking and gambling often go hand in hand, and no one can deny you look cool drinking while playing the virtual pokies. But staying sober will keep your head clear to make smart choices and prevent you from taking unnecessary risks and overspending.
8. Understand the gambler's fallacy.
Be careful not to fall victim to--and bet on--a false belief that a lot many gamblers do: that the probability of a future event depends on a certain amount of consistent past events. So just because the roulette has landed on red several times doesn't mean it's now bound to come up black. All gambling is taking a chance, and there are no guarantees.
9. Don't chase your losses.
It's easy to think, "I'll keep playing until I win back the amount I've lost", something referred to as "chasing your losses". But doing that is a trap that almost always ends with you spending, and losing, more money. Stick to your spending limit and you'll enjoy online casino play much more.
10. Remember, not all gambling systems work.
Lots of approaches and systems to betting and gambling claim to be foolproof for wins, but not all of them work. Try them out with caution and remember, at the end of the day, gambling is taking a chance that may or may not pay off.